I’m seeing reproducible first-deployment behavior on a new Hobby project.
Current state:
Project is paused and must remain non-live. There are currently zero deployments. Vercel CLI version: 59.16.0.
Reproduction:
vercel deploy vercel deploy --target preview GitHub push from a non-production branch: preview/staging-180fcee
In all three cases, when the project had no previous deployments, the first deployment was classified as Production:
target = production OIDC environment = production
This happened even when the deployment originated from the preview branch.
Each unexpected deployment was immediately deleted, and the Git integration was disconnected.
I need a strictly Preview-only initialization path because creating any Production-target deployment is not permitted in this workflow.
Could you please confirm:
Is this a known first-deployment behavior/bug? Is there an officially supported way to create the first deployment with target=preview without creating any Production-target deployment first? If REST API is used, does omitting the target field guarantee Preview classification on an empty project?
I’m specifically looking for a fail-closed Preview-only initialization method.